Yes, you can put a liftgate on a box truck.
Adding a liftgate to a box truck is a common practice in the US.
How much weight can a truck liftgate handle?
The lifting capacity of a truck liftgate vary widely depending on the specific make or model.
Liftgates come in different types. Each type of liftgate has its own weight capacity.
Because of that, it's essential to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the particular liftgate that you consider.
Here are some general guidelines for the weight capacity of different types of liftgates:
- Rail-Type liftgates: These are commonly used on box trucks and typically have a weight capacity ranging from 1,600 to 6,000 pounds or more.
- Tuckaway liftgates: These are designed to stow underneath the truck when not in use. Their weight capacity generally ranges from 1,500 to 6,000 pounds or more.
- Cantilever liftgates: These liftgates have a horizontal extension that swings out to reach the ground. They typically have a weight capacity ranging from 1,500 to 5,500 pounds or more.
- Level-Lift liftgates: These are often used for heavy-duty applications and can have weight capacities exceeding 6,000 pounds.
To ensure a safe and effective operation, you need to adhere to the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations regarding putting a liftgate on a truck.
Remember that exceeding the weight capacity of the liftgate can lead to unsafe conditions, potential damage to the equipment, and increased risk of accidents during loading and unloading operations.
However, if the liftgate is not an option, you can use a forklift or a pallet jack to load the freight up into the cargo area through a truck loading ramp. See what is a truck loading ramp.
Calculating the correct weight capacity of a liftgate
When choosing the liftgate that can handle the weight of your box truck freight, take into account other things that you'll need to lift the freight on it.
For example, if your freight weighs 1,500 lbs then a 2,000 lbs weight capacity liftgate may not be enough.
This is because you also need to take into account the weight of the pallet, a pallet jack or a forklift, the weight of the driver or the second person on the platform, or anything else that might be used to handle the cargo on box truck liftgate.
- An pallet jack weighs around 300 lbs to 350 lbs.
- Consider the weight of the driver or if there might be a second person on the platform.
So, you may need to consider an additional 500 lbs to 600 let before you even think of the maximum load that you want to carry out there.